Monday, July 16, 2012

And Then There Was One... Doughnut hole that is!

I could be seen on my deck again with my fryer today. Doughnut holes making my patio smell like a carnival without the other uummmm scents of the crowd!

I altered a recipe I watched Alton Brown make to be vegan and gluten free.

1 cup hot Silk Very Vanilla Soymilk
2-1/2 tablespoons shortening
1/3 cup hot water
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 egg replacer egg
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 to 2-1/2 cups GF baking mix
Oil for frying (I use vegetable oil)

Heat milk and shortening in microwave approximately 1 minute 20 seconds (you want shortening to melt). Set aside to cool to room temperature.

In mixing bowl put hot water (95 to 105 degrees) and add yeast. Let dissolve for a few minutes. Add milk/shortening, egg replacer, sugar, salt and nutmeg and one cup of GF baking mix.

Combine on slow speed until flour is combined. Mix well. Add another cup of baking mix while mixing on slow. Gradually add more baking mix until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in warm place for an hour.

Pull teaspoons of dough and roll into balls and place on cookie sheet. I got about 28 doughnut holes.

Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.

Fry in 375 degree oil (about 10 at a time in my Fry Daddy) until holes float and are golden. I use a spider to drop into oil, turn over, and remove from fryer.

Brush with simple syrup, roll in cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar. Or whatever you like your doughnuts to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment