Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sweet & Spicy Spud-tastic Doughnut Holes

I made a half recipe of these since a whole recipe calls for 6 cups of flour!  6 cups of GF baking mix can run me close to $15 and while I want to eat doughnuts, I can't justify that for a random Saturday afternoon.  Besides, half a recipe got me 32 doughnut holes.  I think that is perfect!  They taste best same day so no need for any left over!

I love the way the cinnamon sugar melts on the roof of  your mouth while the doughnut crust is a crispy.

I am listing the whole recipe here for the sake of making it easier to read/write.

1 package of yeast
1 cup Silk Very Vanilla 
1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (just potatoes), slightly cooled
2 tablespoons Coca Cola
2 egg replacer eggs of your choice
1/3 cup margarine, melted
3 cups of sugar, divided
4 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
6 cups GF baking mix
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Deep fryer or however you deep fry things.  

I got 32 doughnut holes.

I realize not everyone can deep fry on their deck in their pajamas like I do!  But, if you can, I highly recommend it.  No deep fry smell hanging around in the kitchen and trapped in your hair and clothes.  When I fry on the deck, it smells like the carnival without the screaming children, scary people, and over priced activities.  I use a Fry Daddy and a spider.  The basket that came with the Fry Daddy kind of sucks.  Everything sticks to the bottom of it!  I put things in and take them out of the fryer with my spider.

Put the yeast in your mixer bowl.  Heat soymilk to 115 degrees. Add the Coke and stir slightly.  Add that to the yeast and stir to combine.  Add the warm potatoes, egg replacer, and melted margarine and stir to combine.

Add 3 cups of GF baking mix, 2 cups of sugar, baking powder, baking soda nutmeg and salt.  Mix until smooth.  Slowly add more baking mix until dough pulls away from sides or bowl.  It should be soft and slightly sticky.  Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Plug in your Fry Daddy and set temperature to 375.  Combine 1 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a freezer bag.

Line two large baking sheets/jelly roll pans with parchment.  Take rounded teaspoons of dough and roll into doughnut holes.  Line them upon the parchment lined pans.  Fry a few at a time (6-8) for 3-4 minutes or until they float.

Drain on paper towels. Get those warm doughnuts in the freezer bag and shake to coat in cinnamon sugar a few at a time.  I let them drain only as long as it takes me to get the next batch loaded in the fryer, just like when I make churro bites.







No comments:

Post a Comment