Saturday, December 8, 2012

Naan Envy

Big D has been ordering from this new Indian bistro in town and loving it. We had some friends over last night because we knew they would enjoy it too. I am sitting there smelling all the delicious things they ordered sipping water and eating Stax. Those chips weren't cutting it for me!

I am, hello, making soup today. Not a big shock. I am putting potatoes in it today though. I figured Bub would have some when he is back from school today and before he goes to the zoo with his GF. They have a holiday lights display in the evenings at the zoo here.

I figured naan would go well with soup. What bread doesn't go we'll with soup?

Traditionally, there is yogurt in naan but since yogurt is not on my list of things I can eat, I have made some changes to the recipe.

1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm plain soymilk, 110 degrees
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Combine the above in a small bowl and allow to sit until it foams.

In a large bowl (mixer), combine the following:

4 cups GF baking mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder

To the dry ingredients add:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
The yeast mixture
1/4 cup plain Soymilk (this replaces the yogurt)

If you eat any type of yogurt, vegan or other, you can add 4 tablespoons instead of the Soymilk.

Mix in electric mixture until crumbly. You may need to add tiny amounts of Soymilk to get the dough to come together. When it is still crumbly but all bits moist, squeeze the dough together with your hands in the bowl. Once you have a solid piece of dough, work it on a lightly floured surface until smooth. It won't be elastic but you can get it smooth pretty good gluten free or not.

Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and rise in warm place approximately 45 minutes. Grease two cookie sheets or jelly roll pans.

Divide dough into 6 pieces. Shape each piece with your hands the into ovals by first making a ball of dough then pressing it outward gently.

Move your oven rack to the top. Preheat broiler a few minutes. Broil the naan 2-3 minutes per side until brown and puffed. I rotated my pans half way through on each side for even browning. Flip them with tongs. The bread will puff in the middle as it cooks.

The restaurant gave them really dark, charring on the naan last night from the clay oven they slap the bread onto there. It sticks to the side of the oven as it cooks when authentic. Can't really do that here. .. but I wish I could! I can't get that char with indoor cooking.










No comments:

Post a Comment