Saturday, January 12, 2013

Unseasonably Warm Sorbet

Not sure what is up with the Chicago weather. It's down right creepy! I'm kind of glad it's going to get cold tonight...

So, once again, I did not get to icream today. While I really wanted cinnamon, I can only make really good chocolate ice cream at home.  I like my ice cream machine. It's easy to use but there is only so much texture your can get from soy milk and no eggs.  I am NOT a fan of tofu.  I know how wonderful it can be in giving things a creamy texture but if I can stand the flavor, the texture matters not!

I know this is technically sorbet but it is rich and creamy enough to qualify as ice cream for me.

This recipe does not use the ice cream machine.  Wooden spoon. Stove top. Immersion blender. It takes considerably longer to actually be ice cream but hey, it's Saturday and the laundry is done.

2 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
1-1/4 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
Pinch of coarse salt

Combine water and sugar in 2 quart saucepan. Heat on medium and stir until sugar is dissolved.  Bring to boil and boil 2 minutes without stirring.  Remove from heat.  Add the chocolate chips.  Stir until chocolate is melted. Add the little salt.

Here, I put the pan in the sink to hit with the immersion blender so I did not have a chocolate splattered kitchen. If you don't have one, use a blender or food processor to process until smooth.  Pour into freeze proof container.  I am using Rubbermaid since they have lids.

Cool on countertop.  When it is cool, cover and gently place in the freezer.  After one hour, remove from freezer and blend again. Return to freezer until firm.







No comments:

Post a Comment