Saturday, February 23, 2013

Chocolate Cloud Frosting


I am missing frosting so freakin bad! Powdered sugar, even the corn free versions, give me hives.  I have no idea why. This is a flour frosting that turned out to be a delicious surprise!

I have made flour frosting before and it was NOT good eats.  I am trying a different one today.  Right from the beginning, I could tell it was different, better, and I got hopeful!

I would not make cake unless I knew the frosting was successful.  Hooray! There will be cake today!

1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 GF baking mix
1 cup Very Vanilla Soymilk
Dash of salt
Cocoa powder (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup cold but firm margarine, cut into pieces

I used half Smart Balance Light tub margarine and half Earth Balance stick margarine. Earth Balance will make better texture but can taste a little olive oily while Smart Balance has a milder flavor, the water content is greater. Earth or Smart, together, they Balance each other!

Whisk sugar, baking mix and salt in medium saucepan.  Add the Soymilk.  Whisk constantly over medium- high heat until thick and bubbly.

Remove from heat and pour into bowl of your mixer.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool.  Using the paddle attachment on the mixer, beat the cooled mixture. Slowly add the margarine one bit at a time on low speed until all is incorporated.

Switch to whisk attachment and beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until cold. Still using the whisk attachment, add by tablespoons the cocoa powder until you achieve fluffy frosting that clings to the whisk in peaks. SO GOOD!  I feel like I am 10 and it is my birthday and my mom made me cake!





No comments:

Post a Comment