Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday Smells Good!

Not vegan Sunday dinner for my boys.  Growing up, pot roast was made in the oven.  I love my cast iron enameled Dutch oven for slow cooking though.  I can get a good brown sear on the meat before lowering the heat and adding liquid. This is so easy and takes notice at all to get going. Once it's in the pot, you can read, do laundry, iMessage your daughter working in the library, brush your cat, take a nap... whatever floats your boat!

Margarine
1-1/2 pound chuck roast
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Garlic
Oregano
GF baking mix
Water
Baby Yukon Potatoes, scrubbed

Generously rub the above spices into the meat.  Sprinkle on the baking mix covering all sides.

Melt 2 tablespoons margarine in Dutch oven.  Brown all sides of the meat, supporting with tongs when necessary.

Add enough water to almost cover the meat.  Reduce heat to low.  Scape the bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen the brown bits.  Add the potatoes and cover.  Simmer for 3 hours or so until meat is tender.

Double Derek's eating with spinach.  Putting some other veggies in the pot with the potatoes would be great (carrots, parsnips, onions, red peppers).  I didn't have any today!

Even though I'm not eating this dinner, it sure smells terrific!

 I'm taking left over rice and edamame and putting them in a pot with frozen cauliflower and Bragg's, adding water and steaming until cauliflower is tender.  Sort of soup. Sort of food.  I don't even care anymore. I will be getting some veggie nutrients and some protein from the edamame. I'll get at least 2 nights worth of dinner for myself out of this.

I can have a brownie later for food enjoyment.







No comments:

Post a Comment