Friday, February 8, 2013

Take That You Brownies!

GF and vegan brownies (and waffles) are always EPIC FAILURES...  until today!

I am not even supposed to be home right now but my FL (fearless leader) was so sweet and let me go home early today!   The office would have been dead.  There are no more closets to clean out.  I can't get farther ahead on work.

The cosmos were a little off this week and everyone seemed to be on edge.  I was over the edge on Tuesday!  Felt like I needed an ER yesterday.  This afternoon, at home, with no one sick, in my kitchen, with my cats, is a delightful little gift!

I have had to wave my white flag and surrender to the fact that brownies and waffles are just not meant to be enjoyed by people who are both gluten free and vegan.  One or the other yes. But both?  NOT.  I am feeling on top of the chocolate world right now having kicked brownie butt!  I may fight you again someday, waffles...  but you are safe today.

These brownies take a few extra steps but so worth it!

Set your oven rack to the lowest option.  Preheat oven to 350.  Line an 8" square pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overlay to use to remove brownies from pan later.

1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1 tablespoon quinoa flour
2 tablespoons hot water

Mix the above in small bowl and set aside.

1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 chocolate morsels (Trader Joe's)
1/3 cup Very Vanilla Soymilk, very hot

In a large bowl or bowl of your electric mixer, combine the cocoa and morsels.  Add the hot soymilk and stir into a paste.  To this add the following:

6 tablespoons melted stick margarine (I used Earth Balance)
1-1/4 cups sugar
Your tapioca/quinoa flour mixture prepared above      

Mix with electric mixer until smooth.  By hand with a spatula, stir in:

1-3/4 cup GF baking mix
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt

The batter will be thick.  Spread into your prepared pan with spatula.  Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Remove from oven and place pan on wire rack and cool for an hour.  Remove from pan by using the parchment paper and cool completely on wire rack before cutting.

Cut carefully with serrated knife.







No comments:

Post a Comment