Sunday, March 24, 2013

Double Doughnut Delight

Could this actually be the recipe I've been waiting for?  Rich, crispy, frosted chocolate doughnuts!

I was browsing ebooks at the libraries webpage and stumbled upon a freakin doughnut cookbook!  I got on the hold list and received the available email yesterday.  Chocolate cake doughnuts with chocolate frosting were one of my favorites as a kid.  I made a ganache to dip these beauties in after they are fried.

This cookbook, by Lara Ferroni, actually had some gluten free options in it.  Since I generally don't use gluten free recipes, I didn't use one today. Like always, I adapted a standard recipe to suit our needs. I started with her regular chocolate cake recipe and made it gluten free AND vegan with a few changes. Turns out Lara mentions her friend, Shauna James Ahern, a gluten free cook I follow on Twitter! What a small cyber world!

This is super, crazy, chocolatey. They taste best cold. I tried one warm and it was not good eats. Hot coffee and a crispy doughnut. How very normal.

Doughnuts

1-3/4 cups GF baking mix
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into little pieces
1/2 cup hot Vanilla Soymilk
1 teaspoon oil and one teaspoon cold water added to the hot soymilk

In mixer combine the baking mix, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Add the margarine and mix on slow until mixture looks crumbly.  Slowly pour in the liquid and mix until smooth.  It is like a cookie dough.

Set aside and make the ganache and preheat your deep dryer to 375.  Line two cookie trays with parchment paper.  Set up your cooling racks with some foil beneath them.

For the ganache

Put 2/3 cups chocolate chips in a bowl wide enough to dip doughnuts in.
Pour 1/3 cup hot Very Vanilla Soymilk over them and stir till smooth.

Doughnut Assembly

Eyeball the dough.  You will get 8 doughnuts out of this recipe.

Take about a tablespoon of dough and form into a ball.  Press into a burger slider patty shape gently.  Put on the lined baking sheet.  Repeat until you have 8 patties.

Take the handle of a wooden spoon and make a hole in the middle of the patties.  Move doughnut patties into the fryer with a slotted pancake turner, two at a time.  When they rise to the surface, fry for one minute, then flip and fry for another minute.  Remove with the same pancake turner and drain on paper towels.

Dip into the ganache and place on cooling racks.  Don't be stingy when you dip! Give them a good coat. There is plenty.

I will admit these are aggravating my atrial fibrillation so I may not make them often!












No comments:

Post a Comment