Thursday, April 18, 2013

I Hate Nature Casserole

Three years ago my father and his wife lost the basement and first floor of their home and everything in it when the retention pond in their city overflowed.  If I had not seen the water in the street, covering entire cars, the damage in their home, I would not have believed it and sure the hell would not have appreciated the magnitude of it.

It happened again today.  It. Happened. Again. Today.  My heart is sick. Sicksicksick.

Getting to work today was dangerous.  Standing water everywhere. Cars stalled in the road.  Visibility was poor since it was pouring so fast.  People making the decision to get out of their stalled cars which I don't understand at all.  I saw a woman and 3 kids getting out of their car on the side of the road.  I don't know what she was thinking.

Our basement took in water.  Double Derek's are down there now cleaning, throwing out, and sanitizing.  We will be over this tonight at our house but it will be months and months and months before my dad is.

It makes you feel so helpless.  We are at the mercy of nature and sometimes it just has it in for us.  Some people more than others.

We are all safe.  We are all going to do whatever we can for my dad and his wife when the water level recedes.  I'm trying to think what the lesson could possibly be here.  What is the reason this had to happen to them AGAIN.  I'm not seeing it.

I can't be much help here tonight so I did make dinner dammit.  I can still make dinner!

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons oil
Garlic
Cumin
Cayenne
Salt
Chili powder
1 cup water
One can black beans, drained
2 cups cooked rice
Some sliced olives

Cut the chicken into strips.  Heat the oil and margarine in a skillet with a lid. Slide the pan off the heat for a minute.  Add the chicken and the spices.  Return to heat and brown the chicken.  Reduce the heat to low.  Pour in the water.  When the water stops rapid boil, add the lid to the skillet.  Cover and simmer for one hour.  Add the beans and heat through with the lid on.  Remove from heat.  Break  up the chicken with a wooden spoon.  It should come apart easily.  Add the rice and olives and mix well.

Serve with sliced cucumber and cheese (Daiya cheese for Bub).



No comments:

Post a Comment