Sunday, May 5, 2013

Hybrid Tortilla-Gordita

When I was still using xanthan gum, I made the best tortillas.  I made them so much, I even bought a tortilla press!

I have since learned that xanthan gum makes me sick and I don't even like the taste.  I figured what better day to try tortillas than Cinco de Mayo.

These are not as thin as I would have liked but, they taste good and will serve their purpose of getting more food into our mouths faster!  I can imagine how yummy refried beans and cheese will taste in a warm tortilla.  Bub will have to tell me if it is as delicious as I remember.  I will be filling mine with puréed edamame.

2 cups GF baking mix
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot plain Soymilk
1 tablespoon tapioca starch

In a mixer, blend te baking mix, sugar, and salt.  Heat the Soymilk for about a minute in the microwave.  Whisk in the tapioca starch.  Add to the dry ingredients and blend until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, adding small amounts of baking mix if necessary.  Divide into 8 equal sized balls of dough and lay them out on surface dusted with baking mix.

Coat a piece of parchment with shortening or margarine.  Place balls of dough, one at a time, on the center and press gently with tortilla press or roll with rolling pin.  Don't over press or roll.  Too thin and these will be stuck to the parchment forever.  Coat the parchment between each press or roll.

Grill on 350 preheated griddle for about 2 minutes per side.

Stuff and eat!









No comments:

Post a Comment