Sunday, June 2, 2013

Double Duty Soups

I like soup.  It is filling, not bad for you, and is lazy, like I am on Sundays.  Today, I'm making two soups that started in the same pot.

I do not eat meat and animal products out of necessity and not so much out of principal.  Do I think animals are treated humanely for our dietary wants and needs?  I do not.  Do I think the meats produced today are different than the meats raised 50 years ago?  Yes.  And they have not changed for the better.  The treatment of the animals, the quality sent to market, the blind eye of the USDA are all disheartening.

With that said, I do not judge those who eat meat and animal products.  I live with and love two people who eat and enjoy meat.  I am doing the best I can with the cards dealt to this household.  Between the allergies and intolerances, the digestive diseases, and the completely different needs each of us has, I just want to make good food anyway I can.

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 bag frozen edamame
1 bag frozen carrots or 5-6 sliced fresh carrots
3 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos
6-8 cups cold water

Combine the above in a large stock pot.  Bring to boil with lid off.  Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until chicken and veggies are tender (at least an hour, two is better).  Turn off the heat.

Remove the chicken breasts for recipe below:

Chicken Florentine Soup

2 tablespoons margarine
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
1 bag frozen, or fresh spinach
Garlic
Black pepper
Red pepper flakes
1/2 package of rice noodles/gluten free spaghetti, broken into little pieces (7ounces)

Heat margarine and olive oil in a large fry pan.  Add the cooked, cubed chicken and cook until you get a little color on them.  Add the spinach and ladle in about 12 large ladles full of the broth from the stock pot above.  My husband hates edamame so I will be extra careful not to let any get in the chicken florentine soup!  A rouge carrot, or many carrots, will be fine!

Add the spices then add the broken spaghetti pieces and cook until pasta is tender and spinach is heated through.

The remaining broth and veggies will be my dinner soup.  And I realize that my broth contains chicken.  I am OK with it.

I could add a starch here but I just don't need it.  Rice would be perfect though!  Or diced potatoes.






No comments:

Post a Comment