Friday, July 19, 2013

Dreamy Cinnamon Rolls

My stomach has been upset more than usual the past several days (dammit parsnips).   I've either been in too much pain to eat, or I'm starving!  When I went to bed last night, I was starving and dreaming of cinnamon rolls.  

I haven't been sleeping well either which is strange.  Maybe it's the heat, the stomach pain, the night owl young adults living here... Whatever the reason, I had plenty of time to think of a good way to make cinnamon rolls.  

My Po-TAY-Toe Rolls recipe makes super soft bread.  I figured I would adapt it and come up with a sweet, spicy breakfast treat!  It's way too hot to fire up the deepfryer on the deck.  I'm not going out there!  That means doughnuts were not an option today.

Preheat oven to 375 and grease a round cake pan with shortening.

1 package yeast
1/3 cup Very Vanilla Soymilk, heated to 110 degrees
1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup shortening, softened (I use Earth Balance)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 to 2-1/2 cups GF baking mix
1 tablespoon melted margarine mixed with 1 teaspoon maple syrup for brushing

Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

In small bowl, combine yeast and hot Soymilk.

In mixer, cream shortening and sugar until light.  Beat in the maple syrup and cinnamon.  Add mashed potatoes, warm water, yeast mixture, one cup baking mix, and salt.  Mix until smooth. Slowly start adding more baking mix until soft dough forms. It will be very soft but won't stick to your hands.

Divide your dough into thirds (like a peace sign).  Shape into 9 equal circles (three per third)  and arrange in pan. Cover with plastic wrap and towel and allow to rise on top of your preheated oven.

Uncover and bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with melted margarine, maple syrup combo and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Don't be shy.  Use all of the margarine, maple, allowing it to coat the entire pan full.  

Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until tops are golden.





No comments:

Post a Comment