Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Poppin' Parsnips

Here's a twist on my Cracklin' Cauliflower since neither of my kids can eat cauliflower.

Also, I read up on parsnips this morning.  I have a couple tips for you!

Parsnips should be kept dry.  I was able to choose them myself at Whole Foods.  They were stacked there, unwrapped so they were dry.  The ones I received from Peapod were in plastic bags and they were very wet.  Not good.  Wet=Slime.

Another tip is to buy smaller parsnips.  If you buy them too large, the centers can be tough.  Just cut the middle out if they have a wide diameter.

I also learned that parsnips taste best and sweetest when left in the ground after a frost.  Perhaps the most important thing I read was the sap found on the leaves of parsnips is poisonous.  So, if you think about growing them, do some research to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. I did not read too much on growing them... yet!

2 lbs parsnips, peeled and cubed
1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos
3/4 cup GF baking mix
1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Salt
1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
2 tablespoons softened margarine

Preheat your oven to 450 and grease a 13x9 pan.

Boil the cubed parsnips and potato until tender.  Drain them.  In your food processor or blender or with immersion blender, purée them with the Bragg's.  Stir in the baking mix, mashed potato flakes, baking soda, and salt to taste.

Spread into prepared pan.  Arrange a nice layer of sliced carrots over the top.  If you are not sensitive to under cooked carrots, don't be shy with them!  I have to keep mine in one even layer to be sure they are cooked enough for my touch-y digestive system.  Add mushrooms too or some peppers.  Yum!

Bake for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven, brush with super soft margarine, making sure you hit all the carrots.  Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.

The edges get a nice crisp and, even though this recipe isn't cracklin', you can hear it sizzle in the oven!

I apologize for no prep pics.  My disposal was giving me issues so I just had to keep moving forward so I didn't get wrapped up in it!






No comments:

Post a Comment