Saturday, August 10, 2013

My Kind of Crust

Can't eat traditional pizza?  Missing real Chicago deep dish?

Well, here is the only vegan, gluten free crust you are ever going to need!  Those of you able to fill it with either traditional or alternative cheeses and proteins will be even happier than I am right now.  Holy cow...  if you can add crushed tomatoes too?  Damn.  I'm jealous!

I am happy enough with this crust that I am filling with edamame mousse for Len and I tonight.

Never had Chicago deep dish?  Well...  I am sorry but you have been missing out.

While Lou Malnati's and Gino's East aren't the deep dishes I grew up on, they do deliver all over the country.  I recommend Giordano's and they ship all over too!

1/2 cup plain Soymilk, heated to 110
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon yeast
4 tablespoons melted margarine
2 cups GF baking mix
Dash of salt

Whisk together the warmed Soymilk, yeast, and sugar in your mixer bowl.  When the yeast is dissolved, add the melted margarine and 1/2 cup of the baking mix.  Blend on low until you have a smooth, thick batter, pausing to scrape the sides of the bowl if necessary.

Add the remainder of the baking mix and the salt.  Mix just until no dry parts are left.  Press together with your hands to make a ball.  Do not knead.  Cover with plastic and a towel and allow to rise in a warm place.

Preheat the oven to 500.

Oil up the bottom of a 12" pan (pie, cake, pizza of you've got it).  I used a 9" round cake pan since our pizza will not really resemble a pizza too much anyway!

Press the dough from the center to cover the pan, pressed thinly up the sides.

Fill the pizza with what you love, starting with cheese all over the bottom of the crust and ending with sauce or drained crushed tomatoes.

Reduce the oven to 450 and bake for 30-40 minutes, rotating the pan after 15 minutes.








No comments:

Post a Comment