Sunday, October 6, 2013

My Kind of Snack

Some days the fact that I can't eat things I know are great and the fact that I can't buy anything great, gets me down.  Add that there are alway doughnut pics all over Tumblr and I just want to scream!

Instead, I bake.  I keep trying to find that perfect cinnamon roll type treat knowing that rolling GF dough is not usually successful without eggs or xantham gum.  I need to get creative, use words to describe foods like "deconstructed" or "rustic".  Yeah.  Those work for vegan, and wheat free foods.

Here, I took My Kind of Crust and made a rustic, open faced, cinnamon roll.  It isn't a roll but rather an "unconstructed" version of one (meaning it's flat people).

Warm.  Chewy.  Sweet.  Better than other doughs I've turned into cinnamon rolls.  The miracle of the gold pan is a plus too.

Crust

1/2 cup Very Vanilla Soymilk, heated to 110 degrees
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon yeast
4 tablespoons melted margarine
2 cups GF baking mix 
Dash of salt

Whisk together the warmed Soymilk, sugar, and yeast in your mixer bowl.  When sugar and yeast are dissolved, add the melted margarine and 1/2 cup baking mix.  Mix until you have a smooth batter. Scrape down sides of bowl if necessary.

Add the remainder of the baking mix and the salt.  Mix until there are no dry parts left.  Press into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and a towel, and let rise in warm place.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

For the topping

2 tablespoons melted margarine
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar mix

Press the dough onto a sheet pan to form a shape you desire (wouldn't a heart be cute for valentines day).  

Brush with the melted margarine and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Reduce oven temperature to 450.  Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden.

If you can have powdered sugar glaze, it would be amazing to add here!





 Gold pan crispy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment