Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Waffle Evolution

OMFG. It's Waffles is a good recipe.  It works.  It doesn't aggravate me.  Even so, it isn't perfect like the recipe even says.  It was pretty good.   But somehow, when I crave waffles, I still don't feel like making them.  It could be they made me very mad for many years, that I gave up on them, that I didn't find them worth the effort.

I don't want to feel that way anymore because I DO crave them sometimes and I DO want to have them.

I was thinking how I could make this recipe even better.  How could I give the waffle a little more body so they aren't so light and crispy.  Crispy is good but I felt like waffles were a migraine hazard!

In this recipe, I have eliminated the acid, Coke, so the batter doesn't rise as much before cooking.  This, I suspect, has been causing the too light, airy texture and tendency to separate in the middle.

I went further and heated the Soymilk too.  

I have also used half of my usual baking mix and half of Trader Joe's which contains brown rice flour.  This gives a sweet flavor and more body, thicker.  

I have also increased the amount of baking mix in this recipe.

Here is a waffle that is more chewy, has more body, and is generally better!  I WILL make these anytime I crave waffles since they do not trigger pain in the making... or in the eating!  Win!  Win!  

When you wish you doubled the recipe, you know it's good!

1 cup GF baking mix
1 cup Trader Joe's Gluten Free Baking Mix
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons shortening, softened
2 tablespoons margarine, softened
1 cup hot Very Vanilla Soymilk
1 tablespoon softened shortening for waffle iron

In small bowl, combine baking mixes, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In your mixer with the whisk attachment, blend the margarine, shortening, and sugar.  Scrape down sides of bowl with spatula.  Add the hot Soymilk.  Whisk until combined.  It will be a little lumpy and that is OK.

Slowly add the baking mixes combo by tablespoons full while mixer is on low speed, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl at least once.  When all the baking mix is added and is moist, stir with spatula to make sure all the baking mix is moist by scraping the sides and the bottom of bowl.  This batter should be thick like cake batter.  You can always stir in more baking mix if it's too thin.

Brush softened shortening onto the waffle iron, getting some in all the little nooks.  Preheat iron to medium setting.  When iron is hot, ladle in 1/3 to 1/2 cup batter into the center.  Cook until no longer steaming, or until the iron beeps like mine does!















No comments:

Post a Comment