Sunday, January 26, 2014

It's Not Me. It's You. Potato Cakes

As you may know, I have a love/hate relationship with my waffle iron and with, what I thought was, waffles.

After attempting a mashed potato waffle in my waffle iron, I'm thinking maybe it's been the damn waffle iron all along and not my waffle recipes or my ability to execute them!  It is in the garbage and it may be a long time until I buy another one... or I may buy one soon to prove my theory.

I wanted to make mashed potatoes in the waffle iron having seen this all over the internet this week.  Fail.

In any event, recipe saved by simply making them in a skillet.  Less deep, crispy edges but still really delicious!

While there are dozens of recipes out there for this dish, I adapted my recipe from Joy the Baker.

Ours, of course, are vegan.  You can top these like any baked potato or potato pancake.  I do have another potato cake recipe on this blog but these are more pancake-like and the others more flatbread-like.  These are lighter and smoother.

1/4 cup Earth Balance stick margarine
1/4 cup plain Soymilk
2 cups mashed potatoes (make this like normal, salted and everything)
1/2 cup GF baking mix
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Dash of salt

In a Dutch oven or pot on medium low heat, allow the margarine to melt and brown slightly. You'll know by the nutty aroma. It smells just like making Soychamel in the first stage.

Remove from the heat.  Add the Soymilk.  Mix well.  Add the mashed potatoes and stir.

Combine the baking mix, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.  Add to the potato mixture and stir until combined.

Spoon onto a griddle or into a skillet.  Cook just like a pancake. It will puff up nicely. Cook both sides until golden and cakes are no longer jiggly.  Press down lightly on the cakes after the first flip to get an even cooked middle and for more golden surface area.

Top with vegan or non vegan varieties of cheese, bacon, sour cream, chives, applesauce...









You have caused me so much heartache...  Bye bye!
Fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment