Friday, March 21, 2014

Stuck On The Couch Dreamy Edamame Bread

I've been recovering from surgery this week. It was supposed to be simple.  But hey...  This is me.  It's never simple or easy!  I ended up needing two surgeries in 24 hours, my liver and pancreas had a horrible reaction to being messed with too much, got a migraine they were unable to treat that surpassed any surgical pain, and spent 5 days in the hospital instead of none.

I've been unable to eat much despite finally feeling hungry again so I've been dreaming of all the things I can't wait to eat and been dreaming of new things I want to try and make. And great news for me...  I'm eating black pepper again!  It was in the broth I was forced to eat and I've been adding it to my first solid food... instant spuds.

I think I've discovered the secret to having GF bread stay tasty the next day...  Do NOT wrap or store in air tight containers.  I'm having good luck with loose foil wrapping on two different yeast bread recipes!

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease and flour a loaf pan.

To prepare edamame:

Boil a bag of beans until tender.  

Drain but reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.  

Add back the cooking liquid along with 
1/2 teaspoon black pepper and 
3 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos

Blend with immersion blender, in a blender, or food processor until you have a paste.  Set aside.


For the bread:

1 package yeast
1/3 cup plain Soymilk, heated to 110 degrees
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup margarine, Earth Balance stick
1 cup of your prepared edamame
1/2 cup warm water
Dash of salt
2-1/2 - 3 cups GF baking mix
A little margarine and Bragg's for brushing

In small bowl combine yeast and hot Soymilk.

In mixer, cream margarine and sugar.  Add the edamame, warm water, yeast mixture, and one cup of GF baking mix.  Mix until smooth.  Slowly start adding the baking mix until a soft batter forms.  It will be more like thick batter than dough.

Spoon into your prepared pan.  Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and allow to rise on your warm stovetop for about 30 minutes.

Uncover and bake for 20 minutes.

While it's baking, melt 1 tablespoon margarine and stir in a 1/4 teaspoon Bragg's.

Brush over baked bread and return to oven for 5 minutes.

Remove from pan and allow to cool enough to cut.

I am dying that I'm not ready for peanut butter yet because that would be AWESOME on this toasted bread.  You can also spread the left over edamame paste you made on it.









No comments:

Post a Comment