Saturday, April 5, 2014

Filipino Rice Flour Cakes

A Rick Bayless Instagram post sent me on an internet search for Rice Flour Mamon which turned up a very egg filled sponge cake.  It also turned up information on Filipino Puto recipes.  These were also egg heavy for most.  I then saw that these can be steamed!  The steamed buns we have made have been successful and seem to be a good gluten free option for good, moist texture.

More searching netted me a recipe that called for only one egg and some evaporated milk.  I wasn't scared of making evaporated Soymilk.  I've done this in the past.  I made the evaporated Soymilk the day ahead.  Here is a link to that recipe:

http://siouxchef.blogspot.com/2014/04/evaporated-soymilk.html

Jennie came for a visit today so we made the Puto together!

First, we tried putting these in mini cupcake papers.  They collapsed and leaked a bit.  They still taste good but were not pretty.

We then used tiny ramekins (1/4 cup capacity).  These worked great!  I only have two of this size though so I had to steam them in pairs.  They sell actual Puto molds.  I may invest!  I think this cake could make a great tres leches cake base too.  I would just make more evaporated Soymilk and some condensed Soymilk too.  Another day!

2 cups GF baking mix
1 cup sugar
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup evaporated Soymilk (recipe link above)
3/4 cup vanilla Soymilk
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup melted margarine, Earth Balance stick

Prepare your steamer or method of steaming.

Combine the baking mix, sugar, and baking powder in a medium bowl with a whisk.  Add the evaporated Soymilk, Soymilk, water, and melted margarine.  Whisk until smooth.  This batter is a lot like thin pancake batter.

Pour into ramekins or other tiny molds and place in your steamer.  Put the lid on and steam for 8 minutes.

Gently peel away from sides of ramekin with a knife and turn out onto a plate.  

Serve warm or cold.

Here are photos of success!

















And delicious...  But not good looking photos:





No comments:

Post a Comment