Friday, May 1, 2015

Banh Xeo

There were mistakes made making this...  like I needed waaaaay more crepe batter than I prepared.  That said, it was still a carmelized delicious mess!  Jennie came home for the night and I wanted to try this since seeing it on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/videos/dv1900/big-time-bites.0226106.html

I made sugared edamame with lots of black pepper and some Bragg Liquid Aminos.  I boiled the soybeans, drained them, and let them dry for a little while.

I melted about 1/4 cup of Earth Balance stick margarine in a large skillet, added the beans and half a cup of sugar.  When it got bubbly and slightly thick, I added a splash of Braggs and the black pepper. Feel free to add your own spices here too.  I am just really plain...

Whisk together equal parts rice flour and water and a dash of turmeric is called for here.  The batter should be pretty thin.  When your pan and veggies are screaming hot, pour in the crepe batter and swirl the pan to cover.  Allow to cook until set and crispy underneath.  Mine looks too dark but it really wasn't burnt.  It was the Braggs and sugar turning into carmelized bits of delicious.

I'm going to try this again.... Less beans, more batter so I can flip it out and have it fold over like it is supposed to.

All in all... A good thing to try!






No comments:

Post a Comment