Saturday, October 31, 2015

Bringing The South to Chitown

Boiled peanuts!  A little salty. A little sweet. A little smoky.  And a lot delicious!

Jennie found raw, in the shell peanuts at Treasure Island!  I've been on the hunt for several weeks with no luck.  Leave it to my girl to take such good care of me!  

I had no errands to run today but only household chores to do.  What a perfect day to boil peanuts.  You really need to be home 5-6 hours to make these.  I had to add water every hour or so.  Setting a timer is definitely necessary.  

I used Alton Brown's recipe as a guide to get started.  I had to tailor it since I didn't have a full two pounds of peanuts.  

For my 24 ounces of peanuts. I used 1/3 cup of salt and 26 cups of water to start.  I can't tell you how much water I added over the course of 6 hours of boiling but it was a lot.  I just made sure the peanuts were covered by 3" at all times.  I did not add any more salt and these were plenty salty.

Wash and rinse peanuts in cool water.  Soak and rinse until water runs clear.  

Put the peanuts, 26 cups water, and 1/3 cup salt in an 8-12 quart stock pot.  Bring to full boil and cook covered 4-6 hours until desired tenderness.  Check your water level every hour.  
 
Drain and store in air tight container for up to 10 days.  Freeze portions you want to keep for longer.  I packed individual baggies and put those in a big freezer bag for freezer storage.

They taste amazing warm!  If they last long enough to put into recipes, I'll post those too!






No comments:

Post a Comment