Friday, December 23, 2016

Coming Home Cardamom Cookies

My girl is coming home today for Christmas!  I haven't seen her since JULY.  Thank goodness for FaceTime and smart devices and Snapchat and her always willingness to communicate with her old lady.  I'm so proud of her and happy for her as well.

Vegan sour cream makes a gluten free chocolate cake spectacular.  I figured why not for cookies too! These remind me of toralli's without the lemon.   Cake-like and moist with a little crispy layer of glaze.  I added a sprinkle of Cardamom to the tops of some for a little kick of warm flavor.

Preheat oven to 325.

1/2 cup softened margarine, Earth Balance sticks
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus two tablespoons vegan sour cream, I used Tofutti Sour Supreme
The beans from half a vanilla pod
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Dash of salt
2 cups GF baking mix

Blend well the margarine, sugar, sour cream and vanilla.  Add the baking mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  The batter will be stiff.  It isn't quite like, say, chocolate chip cookie dough. It's more of a thick batter.  Waaaaay thicker than cake but not as stiff as cookie dough that is shaped with your hands.  These are def drop cookies.

Drop by teaspoon full onto cookie sheet about an inch apart.  These don't spread much but they do puff up nicely.  Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the bottom edge just starts to brown.  Don't wait for the tops to brown or you'll dry them out.  Just a little toasty around the edges is good.

Remove from pan and allow to cool before adding the glaze, if desired.

Glaze

3/4 cup powdered sugar, I used Whole Foods brand which does not contain corn
Approx 2 tablespoons soymilk

Add the milk slowly until the glaze is smooth and thin enough to spoon onto cooled cookies.  You may need more or less milk.  You can also add more vanilla bean here.

Spread a bit of glaze onto the cookies with the back of a spoon.  Carefully sprinkle a bit of ground Cardamom onto the tops of the glazed cookies.  

Thumbs up from my Bub and I'm sure a thumbs up from my Jen when she gets here!










No comments:

Post a Comment